Saturday, June 21, 2008

I love Spain!


For those of you who didn't already know, let me reassure you, I love Spain. Wow I don't even know where to start. I should have written this last night. I arrived in Madrid yesterday at 9 in the morning. As I flew in, it was almost overwhelming, as I remembered taking off a year and a half ago not know when I would return. As I made my way to the metro to get into the city I felt as though I had never left. I felt at home. The only strange thing was as I got on to the metro I looked around because I felt as though I should have somebody with me. That has been the strangest part so far, is being alone. Luckily as I made it to my stop in the city, Dr. Rosenberg was waiting outside the train stop. I dropped my luggage off at the hotel, and then we headed off to take care of some items for the program. I just loved absorbing in Madrid again. Even in this insane heat, I love this city. Madrid has a smell, which I really do not have any idea how to describe. Not necessarily pleasant, but definitely present. I took some time yesterday to walk around and get to know the area where I was living. It happens to be one of the few areas of Madrid that I am not completely familiar with since I never served here. I am enchanted by los madrilenos and the way the speak. I hadn't realized how much I missed it. Simple things like seeing the gypsy with her palm leafs, and the mysterious liquid that falls from the buildings made me laugh. Since I needed to stay awake in order to adjust to the time, I decided to make a quick trip down to the temple. The "temple square" in Madrid is really special to me for two reasons I got to serve there and testify there, and when I was on study abroad I actually studied in the institute building there. I talked to a few missionaries that were there, it is crazy that I have been home for a year and a half. I only know 2 missionaries that are still here. My mission president happen to be coming there to give someone and interview, so I was able to talk to him for a minute. Then the hermanas told me the institute was having a birthday party. So I went over there, and ran into several people that I knew. It was particularly nice since I had been fearing that nobody would remember me. So hearing "HERMANA WILLIS!!" Just about made me cry. :) Two of the guys that I knew invited me over to eat, that was an interesting experience. They also invited me to go dancing, which was VERY tempting, but I decided I ought to get some sleep so that my body wouldn't be completely off. :) As I walked home at 12:30 am it was wonderful to see the streets still alive. The large street that passes in front of the hotel is beautiful. Between the two lanes of traffic is a park. A couple of restaurants are in the park, and it was so fun to walk by and hear the people talking outside as a piano was being played. The ambiance was amazing. City life intrigues me. Today I walked around a lot more to see what stores were around. I also gathered up information to help those that are coming with the program. I met 4 out of the 15 today. While I walked around downtown, I walked through Plaza Mayor. I was looking across the crowd when I saw this lady. I recognized her face, and then I heard say to her friends I know her. It dawned on me that she had come to English classes that I had taught over 2 years ago. It was a fun small world connection to make. I look forward to the many adventures to come. I love that it feels like home. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

wow Willis just reading through the post i felt like i was there with you going around the streets!! i am so glad that you are feeling like home and that the fear is dissipating ;). Just take a lot of pics so we can keep traveling with u...cuidate tschuess!

Rachel said...

I'm glad you're so happy to be back. I can't wait for you to show me a little when I come over... in a MONTH!! It is going to be so much fun!!

Carolyn said...

Katherine, these pictures are beautiful! I'm glad you made it safely and that it feels like home. :) I can't wait to hear more about your adventures!