Sunday, September 14, 2014

My America

Under this tree Washington took control of the American Army. How cool is that? :)
While clearly I love a good adventure abroad, this year I've kept things a little closer to home.  I have thoroughly enjoyed exploring new cities and new landscapes in the good old USA.  I am fascinated by the people that I come across in all of my adventures.
Caution: There may be a little bit of a photo overload. :)

MAY
The beginning of May took me to the foundations of our country, and the cradle of the revolution.  My friend BH was graduating from Harvard with his masters, and thus it was just as good of a reason as any to make a trip east.  I LOVED Boston!  Whether we were wandering the Freedom Trail or taking in a game at Fenway, it was a great time.  There is always some inevitable gratitude the ensues when I'm able to visit places that I have read about or heard about growing up.  Standing where they first read the d\Declaration of Independence, or where the Boston massacre took place, put me in awe as to all of the factors that led up to the revolution and eventually the United States in general. In addition,  there were still some spring blossoms which I absolutely loved.  Oh how I've missed seasons.  There's something refreshing about change.  BH was a great tour guide, and I'm grateful for his amazing hospitality.



A Sunday drive along the coast to Maine.
Determined to get a lighthouse picture in Maine.
Sunday drive to Maine.


Harvard's Freshmen Dining Hall...
somehow the Morris center doesn't seem up to par.










Inside the freshmen dining hall.
BH convinced a little freshman to sneek us in,
don't tell anybody especially
since you're not suppose to take pictures. :)














What child wants to ride a skunk?

BLOSSOMS!

MORE BLOSSOMS! I was pretty happy about it. :)



Fenway!

Union Oyster House


Enjoying clam chowder at the oyster bar that has been there for over 200 years.


Loved these historic cemeteries in the middle of the city.




Also in the month of May I popped down to visit my mom for Mother's Day.  I made these rolls, which if I do say so myself were AMAZING!  I was quite proud of them.




JUNE

The beginning of summer brought its own set of adventures.

Exploring the Lava Tubes outside Flagstaff.
Last minute trip to Mexico, yes please! 

Yay for teachers getting in free to the Musical Instrument Museum. in Scottsdale.
 It was FANTASTIC! Experience music from around the world.

SAN FRANCISCO!
For quite a while I have had the intentions of making it to San Francisco.  Several people had given me a hard time that I had been to Antarctica but I had yet to visit such a major US city. So I jumped at the chance to go with my good friends Bethany and Jackie.  I think we had the perfect trip.  So many little things seemed to just fall into place.  
Muir Woods. So maybe I was a tree hugger for a day.

What an American Icon! 





What girl doesn't love a little bit of chocolate?


BIG anybody? :)




JULY
During one of Argentina's World Cup games, my friend David made Milanesa. MMMM. Hard to go wrong with thin strips of steak breaded and fried. MMM MMM MMM.


Timothy's home from PANAMA!!!
One of my last DBacks games I decided to treat myself to a lemonade from THAT guy in the background.  He's great, always cheered me up hearing him.  "LEMONADE, LEMONADE, LIKE YOUR GRANDMA MADE!"

Quick trip up to Snowflake, I didn't realize we were hiking the pinnacle.
My not so skinny jeans were exactly helping me out.
Loved finding the petroglyphs in the canyon, but it always makes me miss grandpa and his expertise.

Not too far outside Mesa is Four Peaks.  In six years I hadn't been out there. So for a sunset hike he headed out on a Friday afternoon, and it was spectacular.


Glacier National Park - Just over 30 total miles of hiking and it's hard to say anything other than God is the master landscaper.   Absolutely Gorgeous!

















Oh, and we stayed in a Tepee.  I was pretty stoke about that. 

August

And by the way now I live here...










No comments: